Thursday, September 15, 2016



    I haven't ever written a blog post before, but I think it sounds like fun (and it's required) so here we go. 
    My name is Cassie, and I'm from Southern California, about an hour outside of Los Angeles. My plan right now is to pursue a Classics major, and a possible certificate in East Asian Studies and/or History and Diplomacy. I have a great deal of interest in the intersection of both Western and Eastern cultures (particularly in literature and politics), and am currently working to broaden my understanding of the East (and in particular Japan) outside of a US or Western centered perspective. 
  • I took the HUM Sequence last year and was captivated by the breadth of amazing literature, history, and philosophy that is the foundation of Western civilization. To complement that class, I also took the EAS version of that sequence and absolutely loved it. It's my overall goal to obtain a sort of comprehensive view of both the East and West, and to be able to pinpoint significant points of interaction and intersection. 

  • My primary interest is Japanese history and culture, (hence my decision to start learning Japanese) because I not only find it interesting, but also because I have a few family members who spent time living and working in Japan. Their experiences and their admiration of certain aspects of Japanese culture have always held my interest. I'm excited to learn Japanese because I feel like it's very crucial (especially at an academic level) to engage the study of Japan with knowledge of the language (it's also a great skill to have!). I can tell that after three days of class, the most difficult aspect might be the level of practice it takes to really solidify everything you learn, which is expected, but I'll work hard and track my progress in order to avoid getting overly frustrated (hopefully). 

  • On a more fun note, I am also an avid reader and movie lover. I enjoy Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Games of Thrones, and my favorite film is The Dark Knight. I also watch a good deal of anime, and love anime like Tokyo Ghoul, Erased, Haikyū, and One Punch Man. I don't really stick to any one genre, so I watch a lot of different things, and am super open to any recommendations. 

  • Well....ja, mata! じゃ、また。

No comments:

Post a Comment